Nine proposals to identify new substances of very high concern (SVHC)
ECHA is looking for comments on nine proposals to identify new substances of very high concern. Give comments by 17 October 2022.
Helsinki, 7 September 2022 – The substances and examples of their uses are:
- 4,4′-sulphonyldiphenol (bisphenol S; BPS) (EC 201-250-5, CAS 80-09-1). Used for the manufacture of pulp, paper and paper products, textile, leather or fur, and chemicals.
- Perfluoroheptanoic acid and its salts (EC -, CAS -). The substances are not registered under REACH.
- Melamine (EC 203-615-4, CAS 108-78-1). Used in polymers and resins, coating products, adhesives and sealants, leather treatment products, and laboratory chemicals.
- Isobutyl 4-hydroxybenzoate (EC 224-208-8, CAS 4247-02-3). Used in the manufacture of substances and in coating products, fillers, putties, plasters, modelling clay, and inks and toners.
- Bis(2-ethylhexyl) tetrabromophthalate covering any of the individual isomers and/or combinations thereof (EC -, CAS -). Used as a flame retardant and as a plasticiser for flexible polyvinylchloride and for use in wire and cable insulation, film and sheeting, carpet backing, coated fabrics, wall coverings and adhesives.
- Barium diboron tetraoxide (EC 237-222-4, CAS 13701-59-2). Used in paints and coatings.
- Reaction mass of 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropan-2-yl)morpholine and 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(heptafluoropropyl)morpholine (FC-770) (EC 473-390-7, CAS -). Used in articles, by professional workers (widespread uses), in formulation or re-packing, at industrial sites and in manufacturing.
- 2,2′,6,6′-tetrabromo-4,4′-isopropylidenediphenol (tetrabromobisphenol-A; TBBPA) (EC 201-236-9, CAS 79-94-7). Used as a reactive flame retardant and as an additive flame retardant in the manufacture of polymer resins, in products such as epoxy coated circuit boards, printed circuit boards, paper and textiles.
- 1,1′-[ethane-1,2-diylbisoxy]bis[2,4,6-tribromobenzene] (EC 253-692-3, CAS 37853-59-1). The substance is not registered under REACH.
The deadline for comments is 17 October 2022.
Further information: https://echa.europa.eu/-/have-your-say-nine-proposals-to-identify-new-substances-of-very-high-concern